So, where to start? Let's start with the basics, and go from there.
1) Salt - not only for flavor, but for baking as well.
2) Whole Peppercorns (and of course a pepper mill) - I enjoy the pepper mill so much more than ground pepper. I use it on all my recipes, and never, ever, buy ground pepper again.
3) Different Salts: Onion Salt, Garlic Salt, other specialized salts.....that you may want to add to this list.
4) All in one seasoning - Season All and/or a Mrs. Dash seasoning.
6) Chicken & Beef Bouillon cubes or packets.
8) Poultry Seasoning
9) Pumpkin Pie Spice, and/or Nutmeg, Ginger, Cloves & Allspice
10) Cream of Tartar
And that about sums it up for the basics at least. Since I tend to do A LOT of Italian cuisine as well as an occasional Spanish inspired dish, I also keep the following:
1) Red Pepper Flakes
3) Chili Powder
6) Bay Leaves
7) Mediterranean Blend
Now, your spice rack is yours to customize as you wish. This, is however, just a brief list of what I maintain on my spice rack, and an idea of what you should have on yours.
Now, get out there and continue to Live Well.
Coming up Next Week: Take that Dream Vacation!
Coming up in Two Weeks: What Every Kitchen Should Have: Baking Ingredients