Sunday, June 23, 2013

Peach Upside-Down Cake, anyone?

Ok, so summer has officially started, and while peaches aren't my favorite fruit, I've got a craving for them lately.  I actually have a healthy craving for all sorts of summer fruits.  I've got frozen peaches and berries for smoothies, canned peaches for a quick desert, and I recently had a summer fruit salad.  mmmm.......

So, while pineapple upside down cake is my new current favorite dessert, I decided to apply an upgrade to the favorite and I've come up with Peach Upside Down Cake instead.  

Before I share the recipe, I must admit, that while I'm trying hard to rid my cabinets of processed foods, when the Commissary has box cakes on sale for about 80 cents, and I have a coupon, I can't resist.  So, I picked up a French Vanilla Flavor, and stored it in the pantry for a few weeks before I decided what to do with it.  With a jar of Dole canned peaches (in the plastic jar), butter, brown sugar, and about cinnamon, I created a nice dessert.  You could, and I recommend, use fresh peaches, and any homemade recipe of vanilla cake, but this was quick and easy to put together in about 5 minutes.  So, here's how:

Preheat Oven to 350.

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
4 Tbs of cinnamon
1 jar Dole peaches (drained)
1 Vanilla Cake Mix 
3 eggs
1 1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

In a 12" cast iron skillet, melt butter.  Add brown sugar and 2 Tbs cinnamon.  Stir over medium heat until well blended.  Remove from heat, set aside.  On drained peaches, toss with 1 Tbs cinnamon.  Arrange in skillet.  In bowl, combine cake mix, remaining cinnamon, eggs, water and oil.  Pour into pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

This can be served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, or cooled with whip cream.  (My mixer finally died in the process, so we will just enjoy it plain.)

Enjoy this dessert and may it become one of your summertime favorites!



No comments:

Post a Comment