Saturday, August 24, 2013

Working Out at Home vs. the Gym

As I finished my TurboFire workout this evening, I tried to remember when was the last time I actually enjoyed going to the gym....and well, that was 20 years ago, when I was in high school.  Then, I decided to do a pros and cons list on working out at home vs. going to a gym.

So, without further ado, here are my thoughts on the issue:

Going to the Gym:
Pros:

1) Tons of Equipment
2) Most have swimming pools
3) Personal Trainer Available
4) Group Classes available
5) Sense of community
6) Additional Amenities such as Sauna, Steamer

Cons:
1) Costly
2) Gym equipment is dirty
3) Shared showers
4) Often times you have to wait for equipment
5) Personal Trainers often cost extra

Working out at home:
Pros:

1) One time cost of equipment/videos/etc
2) Work out in the privacy of your own home
3) No commute to gym
4) Don't have to hire a baby sitter/arrange for child care
5) Changing workout programs is affordable
6) Most workout programs come with online support and eating plan, helping you get your best results

Cons:
1) No sense of community.
3) Buying an upgrade of weights can be very expensive.

Ok, so there you have it, my Pros/Cons list of working out at a Gym vs. working out at home.  Each person has their own preference of where they want to work out, just like each of us has different fitness goals in mind.  For me, I choose to work out at home with DVD's and the equipment that they provide because I'm a private person.  I hate the feeling that I'm being judged because I'm not running fast enough, or lifting heavy enough.  I hate the awkward feeling of looking at a machine and thinking, "Um....how do I do this?"  I really hate waiting in line for a machine, and most of all, I actually hate being in a classroom setting (except Spinning) for kickboxing, step aerobics, etc.  I'm uncoordinated.  And last, but not least, I hate walking into a gym and feeling that it should be a fashion show.

If you're like me, then you should take a look at the tons of BeachBody programs that are available.  There are programs for any fitness level, and for any fitness goal.  If you want flexibility, to lose weight, or to gain muscle, BeachBody has it all.  Additionally, BeachBody supplies online support, a customized eating plan, and a coach to provide motivation to help you reach your goals.  You can browse my website for any workout program to fit your needs.

If you're not like me, and you want to work out in the gym, then get out there and find a gym for you.  The most important part about getting fit, and staying there, is you HAVE to find something that works for you. Once you find something that you enjoy, then make the decision to commit to it, then you'll get results.  And most of all, find something that offers some sort of a support group.  Without a support group, who do you have to share your accomplishments and setbacks with?  A support group can also give you tips, and ideas for improvements.

Good luck on reaching your fitness goals.  Please feel free to message me if you need advice on a BeachBody program, or if you just want general information.





No comments:

Post a Comment